WHEN AND WHERE TO ENJOY YOUR
BRUSH WITH HEIDELBERG.
The Museum and Exhibition are open on Sunday afternoons
(or by appointment for groups of 10 or more).
Where is it?
At The Heidelberg Museum, corner of Jika Street and Park Lane, Heidelberg.
Entry to the Exhibition is $5
THINGS YOU CAN BUY AT THE EXHIBITION.
Catalogues $5 each.
Cards $1 each.
Heidelberg Historical Society General Meetings 2016
Members of the public are invited to attend our general meetings.
Each meeting features a relevant and interesting guest speaker on an historical topic.
Visitors can meet HHS members and perhaps choose to join the Society.
Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of every second month throughout the year.
Venue for all meetings:
Uniting Church Community Centre,
Seddon Street, Ivanhoe
(Enter from the car park at the rear)
Next Meeting Tuesday 14 June 2016 at 8PM.
Interested members of the public are welcome to attend.
Speaker - Maureen Jones
Subject - "Montmorency: The Farm on the Plenty"
Maureen Jones will speak on the early settlers of Montmorency, its indigenous and pastoral heritage,
not forgetting the development of Were Street coffee shops and other important features of the suburb in 2016.
Click here for further information.
Type a word in the white box and click on "search". You will be linked to all the places that word appears in the website.
A Heidelberg Tradition
Heidelberg Historical Society was formed in 1967.
Since then, we have developed a substantial collection of photographs, objects, maps, documents, works of art and other items that help to tell the story of Heidelberg and its surrounding localities.
Our main areas of interest are those formerly in the municipalities that have included Heidelberg, including the Shire and City of Heidelberg and the City of Banyule.
We always welcome those interested in joining our Society as well as members of the public who wish to research the materials we hold in our museum.
Old Courthouse Museum
Our museum is located in the old Heidelberg Court House, Jika Street, Heidelberg, next door to the Heidelberg Police Station. Opening hours are 2PM to 5PM on Sundays.
Entry charge is $5 per person.
Research our Collections
We have a large collection of photographs, maps, newspapers and other documents, books, art works, costumes and other items relevant to the history of this area. Visitors are welcome to research our collections.
Membership and Involvement
Anyone interested in local history can become a member
. We welcome people who can assist us to staff the museum on open days and help us to keep our collections up to date and in good condition.
Our Area of Interest.
Donations are always welcome to assist us in maintaining the museum.
Following the 1838 land sales, "Heidelberg" was the name given to the district rather than the current Heidelberg suburb. The township was called Warringal until the 1860s. Later, the Shire/City of Heidelberg included Fairfield and Alphington to the south and went as far north as Hurstbridge. Our area of interest therefore covers areas included in municipalities under the name of Heidelberg at that time in our history. Since the demise of the City of Heidelberg in the 1990s, our subsequent interest is in the areas covered by the City of Banyule.
Around 1900, a hot air balloon landed on Mt Eagle, attracting the interest of local residents.
Upper Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe,1920s. This continues to be a major shopping precinct.
Yallambie is an historically important house, built in the 1870s, in Italianate style. It is also the name of the suburb.
The Treyvaud family lived in "Moora", 198 Upper Heidelberg Road, West Heidelberg, during the 1920s.
Aldermaston, located in Watsonia Barracks, was built for Dr Ainslie Meares in the 1930s and requisitioned by the Austrtalian Army during World War II.
Mount Street and Yarra Street interesection, Heidelberg, near the railway station. Area of car and bus park near station.
View of Viewbank in the 1950s, before the development of suburban housing. Looking south from Lyon Street.
An overhead view of the Australian Paper Manufacturers at Alphington in 1936. The larger view shows the railway, the road bridge, later called the Chandler Highway Bridge, and some of the older houses that were swallowed up by the large factory.
Fairfield Railway Station was called Fairfield Park in earlier years. It was from there that the railway junction to the APM was managed.
"Moorawatha", 3 Wilmot Street, Macleod was buit in 1908.
By 1981 Rosanna had become a busy and fast growing residential suburb. The site of the famous Golf Course was now a park and a housing estate.
This older Greensborough house, photographed in 1958, was formerly the home of the Partington family.