[Home] [Global Search] [Books] [Community archives] [General information] [Heidelberg Historian]
[House names] [Maps] [Newspaper index] [Occupations] [Photos] [Quilt] [WW1] [Sunday roster] [Log off]

The Heidelberg Historical Society Museum is now open on Sundays from 2 pm to 5 pm

Truth, Beauty & Utility Exhibition now open

This exhibition traces the Arts & Crafts Movement, from the sudden craze for Japanese-inspired decoration in the 1880s to the non-historical ‘Art Nouveau’ of 1900, to the rugged Californian bungalow of 1920—all as seen in our local area.

‘Truth, Beauty & Utility’ is now open at the Museum and can be viewed on Sundays from 2 pm to 5 pm.

Please note that for the remainder of 2021 the Research Room will not be open on Sundays due to density requirements. The Museum will be closed during December 2021 and January 2022.

Coronavirus restrictions

As per Victorian Government regulation the following are required as conditions of entry to the Museum:

For more information please see the Current restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne at the Victorian Government website.

Society membership

If you are not a member you can join by submitting the online application form which will be processed by our Secretary promptly.

25th October 2021

Log on

Heidelberg Historical Society

Mr May's Grand Grocery Store

Posted on Thursday, 18th March 2021 by Janine Rizzetti


The grocery store built by John May in 1899 on the corner of Burgundy and Hawdon Streets is up for sale, along with adjoining buildings.


This image from about 1900-1909 shows the store while it was operating as a grocery store, with a wrap-around verandah on both sides. The large sliding door that still faces the Burgundy St side is a sign of its former life as a grocery store right up until the mid 1960s.

The ‘Heidelberg News’ of 9 June 1899 announced the opening of the new store when it was constructed:

Slowly but surely the township of Heidelberg is making headway. Quite recently a number of handsome new buildings have been erected. One of the most noticeable of these, both for the conspicuous position and its handsome substantial appearance, is the two-storey brick shop and dwelling occupied by Mr E.F. Frost situate at the corner of Hawdon and Burgundy Streets. The building was erected to the order of Mr John May who has thus marked his faith in the prospective prosperity of the district, and the same may be said of Mr Frost, the occupier, who is far and away our most enterprising and up-to-date businessman. The fittings of the commodious shop are superb, and Mr Frost has a large varied and first quality stock, quite equal to anything to be seen in a city establishment. When the railway is built and Burgundy Street becomes a thoroughfare of bustle and life, he will, no doubt, command a large share of the merchant trade. The prices are as low as those current in any of the leading popular cash grocers’ warehouses in Melbourne.

Image: Detail from SLV image. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/295306

Recent blog entries

Heidelberg Historical Society home page
Heidelberg Historical Society home page

[Best viewed with any browser]      [Powered by Apache]      [Powered by MySQL]      [Powered by Apache]