[Home] [Global Search] [Books] [Community archives] [General information] [Heidelberg Historian]
[House names] [Maps] [Newspaper index] [Occupations] [Photos] [Quilt] [WW1] [Sunday roster] [Log off]

Log on

Heidelberg Historical Society

A socially distanced Olympic Games Village

Posted on Monday, 2nd August 2021 by Janine Rizzetti

See here for the image.

Probably social distancing would have been much easier at the Olympic Village during the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games than in the multi-storey towers at Tokyo today.

This aerial view of the Olympic Village at Heidelberg West, still under construction, emphasizes the generous spacing around the accommodation. The curving road along the bottom and left of the image is Liberty Parade, and the inner radial road is Ramu Parade, although at the time it was called Elliot Parade. The dog-leg shaped road on the right of the image is Killerton Crescent, and it leads into what was then Lane Street, - now Morobe Street. The road on the extreme right hand bottom corner of the image is Southern Road. The large flat-roofed buildings are the dining halls, and there were to be more dining halls erected in the open space in the middle of the photograph. Along the top and left is farmland that later became the West Heidelberg Industrial area, with the La Trobe University site in the top left hand corner.

Recent blog entries

Heidelberg Historical Society home page
Heidelberg Historical Society home page


[Best viewed with any browser]      [Powered by Apache]      [Powered by MySQL]      [Powered by Apache]