What’s happening with Heidelberg Historical Society?
The management committee has decided to begin re-opening the museum in three stages.
Stage 1: Return of weekday volunteers:
Starting from 1 July 2020 (subject to government advice), it will be possible for weekday volunteers to return to work. However, only those who have made prior arrangements will be at the museum and for the moment, no visitors will be allowed.
Stage 2: Re-opening of the museum and research room on Sundays:
Our July committee meeting will focus on plans needed for allowing timed visits (especially in the research room) by the public. As to when we open will depend on the availability of our Sunday volunteers.
Stage 3: Speaker Program:
At this stage, the program remains on hold.
We thank our members for their patience and understanding.
Members are encouraged to use the online resources available at this website for research, and for news about further developments.
As well as our photographs and maps, the Members section contains links to all 317 of our Heidelberg Historian newsletters. Material will be added to the blog and our Facebook page from time to time.
If you are not a member you can join by submitting the online application form
which will be processed by our Secretary promptly.
Posted on Thursday, 28th May 2020 by Janine Rizzetti
From our Facebook page 28 May 2020
In February 1919, Mrs Agnes Wall opened ‘Admara’ (sometimes ‘Ardmara’), a private maternity hospital at her home in Hawdon Street. Her husband, Thomas Wall, conducted a woodyard on the block next door, close to the railway which brought the wood.
At this time, most women either gave birth at home or, increasingly, in a private hospital like this one.
Mrs Wall had quite a bit of competition. There was another private hospital ‘Silistria’ conducted by Nurse Dunn in Yarra Street Heidelberg, and the midwife Nurse Jackson worked from her private hospital ‘Kia-Ora’ in Upper Heidelberg Road between Westley Avenue and Ivanhoe Parade. Miss Smith’s ‘Wynstay’ operated in Park St Ivanhoe. There was a private hospital called ‘Airlie’ at 3 Kenilworth Parade conducted by Sister Kelly, but this was not the same ‘Airlie’ in Upper Heidelberg Road where so many present day Ivanhoe residents were born.
Sister Wall’s ‘Admara’ hospital operated for nearly twenty years until 1938.