Home
About Us
What's New?
Collections
Members' Search
Museum
Newsletters
History
Links
Museum Windows
When the Heidelberg Courthouse was built in 1899, stained glass lead-light windows adorned the galleries on each side of the front. By the time this building became the home of Heidelberg Historical Society, these windows had been replaced by mundane frosted glass. No doubt the latter is cheaper to maintain, but by comparison, it is just so boring.
The panel on the left showed how they looked in the plan. Look at the extract from the plan of the building above for the shape of the verandahs.
The Heidelberg Court-House in the Early 1900s in the Early 1900s.
Shortly after it was opened in 1900, the Heidelberg Court-House was surrounded by a picket fence. The lead-light windows are clearly in evidence.
Also visible here is the slate roof with the funiels on top.
The shape of the court-house building is clear from this photograph. The highest section forms the court room. At the front to the right is the main entrance, a verandah runs to its left, with other side rooms continuing along the side towards the rear.
The Museum in the 1970s
By the time the Court-House became the home for Heidelberg Historical Society in the 1970s, various interesting features had disappeared. The picket fence was gone, as were the lead-light windows. The slate roof had been replaced by corrigated iron and the funials on the roof had disappeared.
Nevertheless, the overall shape of the building was still easy to see, and it was clear that the Old Heidelberg Court-House would continue to be used as a public asset.
The museum building itself is remarkably well preserved. It was built in 1899-1900 and served as the Heidelberg Court House until the early 1970s. Heidelberg Historical Society was lucky enough to acquire it for use in 1979.
<
Return to Museum Page.