About Us
What's New?
Members' Search

Example: Guest Speaker Report

Mr. Richard Peterson was our guest speaker at the June meeting with his topic the histories of "Charterisville" and "Banyule", two of Heidelberg's most significant houses. He showed a number of slides past and present of the properties and their surroundings, and gave a brief account of the lives and careers of the various owners.
"Charterisville" was built by the manager of the Bank of Australasia, David Charteris McArthur on property he purchased in 1839 from Thomas Walker. There was a hut on the site at first, then a cottage called "Honeymoon Cottage." The house dates from 1846. McArthur lived here until his death in 1887, when the property was sold to Roberts &. Fergusson. In 1890 the building was let to William Peet and James B. Durham. Then followed a colourful period when sub-tenants included several artists such as Walter Withers. Sir Lionel Lindsay rented the gardener's cottage in front of the house - at that time the property stretched to the river.
Later came Mr. and Mrs. Francois de Castella who lived on here after World War II until the house was eventually sold to Mr. Bob Jane in 1964, on the death of Mrs. de Castella. In 1965 Mr. and Mrs. Donald Merry commenced careful renovations and restoration of the house. The present owners are Mr. and Mrs. Peter Wilson. Mr. Peterson also covered the history of the property which was being sub-divided after World War I and the area dwindled from McArthur's original 84 acres (later he increased his holding to 168 acres) to the half acre on which the house stands to-day.
"Banyule" now owned by the Victorian Government as an annexe to the National Gallery was also one of Melbourne's oldest houses. The first owner was the overlander Joseph Hawdon who built the house in the mid-1840's on 279 acres purchased in 1843 from Richard Henry Browne. Hawdon built his Elizabethan Gothic mansion and lived at the property until 1853 when his wife died, and he went to England. He returned after he re-married, but eventually went to New Zealand where he lived for the rest of his life. He left his affairs in the hands of James Graham, and the homestead and property were leased. One tenant was W.H.F Mitchell, formerly Police Commissioner and his son. An early tenant this century was Mr. Gordon Lyon who with his family lived at Banyule for many years, and during his occupancy, there were additions built in the original style effectively doubling the size of the house, (in 1908).
In 1942 Herbert Alfred Allen purchased the property. The land was further sub-divided as the Banyule Estate, in the late 1950's, and the property was eventually reduced to the small area on which the house now stands, with gardens, cottage and outbuildings. In 1963 Robert Simpson bought Banyule for £31,000, and finally the property was purchased by the Government in 1974.

Example: Old Newspaper Extracts

FROM "THE NEWS" 14/2/1936 — The Old Doncaster Tower, by "B.K." of Heidelberg.
The house opposite is to be demolished, which fact reminds me of an episode in the early days of Heidelberg. A friend and I were spending a few weeks here and boarded in this house, and were well looked after by a dear old Scotch body, Mrs. MacDonald. We had decided before coming that we would walk to Doncaster, go up the tower, and walk back again, as we had been told it was a lovely walk of two miles.
Girl-like we left this adventure to the last day of our holiday, we had early breakfast, took lunch with us, and each carried a stick. We enjoyed the first part of the walk very much, though we had to negotiate several fences and jump over numerous drains. We decided we had walked quite two miles, and the tower seemed as far away as ever, so seeing a cottage we thought we would make enquiries as to the distance between us and our objective. "Oh, its not very far, not more than two miles!" When the occupants heard we had walked from Heidelberg we were invited in to rest, and given glasses of milk, and the album was brought out. I am afraid our thoughts were more at the tower and another two miles to get there, than on the photos being shown to us (probably if they could be seen now they would throw light on early celebrities).
These visits were repeated several times, and we were always told it would be nothing of a walk, "not a bit more than two miles," and hospitality offered (which we sometimes accepted but more generally declined, dreading the production of albums). We pressed on and at last gained our objective, but we were then told that the tower (like the cottage) had been condemned and was to be demolished.
When the caretaker saw our disappointed faces and heard how far we had walked, he wavered and asked if we had brought a field glass (of which we had not thought) lent us one, saying we were going up at our own risk, not to lean over too much when we were at the top, not to stay too long for fear the wind changed, and as we were only two and not a party, perhaps it would be all right. Working smarter is easier with Autodesk autocad buy online.
I really think that the suggestion of danger helped us to enjoy the episode even more than we had anticipated, and we were well on the homeward road before we realised how tired we were. But we reached Heidelberg and Mr. Greenaway (the coachman) had kindly waited for us. I think we slept that night without rocking, and still live to tell the tale. I wonder how many miles we really did walk, but what satisfaction there is in accomplishing what one sets out to do!

Example: One Hundred Years Ago

HEIDELBERG HISTORIAN No. 160 February 1994
Items from the 'Collingwood Mercury'
HEIDELBERG BRASS BAND — 1 February 1894. The second halfyearly meeting of the above was held on Thursday evening 25th ult at the Sir Henry Barkly Hotel, ex Cr J. Sill occupying the chair. The secretary's report showed a debit balance of 1 and the recent amount in aid of the Austin Hospital resulted in a profit of 12/16s. The following office bearers were elected for the ensuing year.
President;: Mr Laidlaw; Vice Presidents: Dr Rollason, Messrs G.T, Mathews, John Sill and B. Mills; Hon. Secretary: Mr H. V. A. Billings; Hon. Treasurer: Mr J. Dawson; Committee: Messrs J. Murphy, T. Flint., H. Charmes, M. Currie and G. Arden; Auditors; Messrs T. Flint and J. Mackie; Sergeant: Mr T. Parker; Corporal: Mr J. Murphy.
SAD DROWNING FATALITY — 8 February 1894. A magisterial inquiry was held at the Sir Henry Barkly Hotel on Monday 29th ult before T. Davey JP concerning the death of a young man named Thomas Alexander Grant. It appears that at the Foundation Day holiday the deceased accompanied a picnic to Heidelberg and went with others to bathe in the Yarra near Sill's garden. He got out of his depth and was being carried downstream by one of the strong currents that abound in this part of the river. A companion pushed him on to a sand bank but Grant was apparently exhausted and, losing his foothold was again being swept out into midstream and disappeared. A search was made for the body under the superintendence of Senior Constable Burton and the river was dragged continuously, but the body was not recovered unti1 the 28th ult, when it was noticed floating in the water by a man named Daniel Pegg. The magistrate found that the deceased was drowned accidentally while bathing.
A SELL FOR CONTRACTORS — 8 February 1894. At the last meeting of the Council, a contract was let for the cutting down of Darebin Street near the Show yards. It appears there is a large outcrop of basaltic rock just alongside the road where the cutting was to be made. The local contractors naturally conjectured that in doing the work, continued blasting would be necessary. In fact one 'old resident' went to the trouble of putting down a bore to test the country and according to his theory he struck rock. The loca1 men thus reckoned they knew a thing or two and sent in tenders as high as 99. Mr P. Sullivan, however, an outsider, not 'in the know' chipped in with a 47 tender which was accepted.
According to specifications, he had eight weeks to perform the contract. The local men chaffed Sullivan as a chump, but subsequent events have proved the boot to be on the other leg, because P.S. has gone clean through the cutting already without touching rock at all and will be finished a month before the contract time. Had the reef cut off like this in a mining venture, how many pounds would have been lost? Geology, what a deceiver art thou!
FROM THE COUNCIL MINUTES — 15 February 1894. A complaint was received from Fairfield regarding the herds of goats which roam the streets committing a general nuisance. They rush into shops and houses, trip people in the streets, destroy beautiful gardens and commit every other sin in the calendar of Satan. Cr Donnelly said one man had 30 goats and he moved that Inspector Goulding be instructed to take action against owners of the animals. This was agreed to.
Inspector Goulding reported that he had prosecuted four lads for bathing in the Yarra, Cr Lugton thought it would be well to set apart certain hours for bathing. Cr Bond: We have a bylaw! The secretary said the bylaw simply gave the council power to fix bathing places and prescribe hours. Cr Ford said as many as 50 young fellows sometimes bathed at the bottom of his paddock and their language or behaviour was not of the best. Cr Adams agreed that bathing at all hours was a nuisance that should be suppressed. After some further discussion the matter dropped.
SALVATION ARMY FUNERAL — 15 February 1894. An interesting ceremony took place at the Heidelberg Cemetery on Friday 23rd ult, the occasion being the funera1 of a youth named Henry Jackson, 16 years of age, who had been attached to the Salvation Army Boys Home at Heidelberg, and who had previously been removed to Melbourne for medical treatment. The detachment of boys stationed at the Heidelberg Home marched to the cemetery, each having a white band on his left arm, in charge of Mr Ensign Bray and two other officers. The company also included the lady officers of the home, all in full regalia, each carrying a nice bouquet of flowers and who met the cortege at the cemetery gate at 11 o'clock. The ceremony, which was a very impressive one, and which contained several well selected hymns, was conducted by Mr Ensign Bray, the officer in charge. Several other officers including Mrs Bray, wife of the Ensign, spoke in very feeling terms about the deceased. After the ceremony was over, the proceedings were brought to a close by the boys depositing their bunches of flowers on the coffin of their departed comrade. Deceased was buried in the Church of England portion of the cemetery and the funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr Ferguson of Vere Street, Collingwood.