Home
About Us
What's New?
Collections
Members' Search
Museum
Newsletters
History
Links

Example: Image shows the chimney at Rouch's Timber Yard, Heidelberg.

HEIDELBERG HISTORIAN No. 104, October 1984

CHARLES ROUCH, from The News, Sept. 1934.
"A well-known resident of early Heidelberg, Charles Rouch, resided in Hawdon Street. He died in September, 1934, at the age of 72 years. He was born in Cambridge Street, Fitzroy.
His parents emigrated to the new land of Australia, several years prior to 1861, from London, his father who was a grocer, having entered into business as general storekeeper on several goldfields during the exciting gold rushes of the pioneer days before settling at Fitzroy. Those were the days when boys and girls in a new country had few of the facilities for education by which children in these modern days are surrounded, and very early in life they set about carving out a career.
Charles Rouch commenced work at the age of 12. Five years later he was a contractor for the erection of houses in Brae Street, Fitzroy, and he afterwards worked on the erection of St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Equitable Buildings and several other undertakings of Victoria's capital city.
Forty years ago when he was aged 28 years, a position as foreman at Holland's Timber Mill in Burgundy Street, attracted him to Heidelberg, and nine years later he purchased the business in which he was joined by his son, E.C. Rouch. Following several years of successful trading, extensions became necessary and large premises were secured at West Melbourne. Then Charles Rouch Pty. Ltd. developed into one of the largest importers of timber in Victoria with over 100 employees.
Mr. Rouch's youngest son, L. Rouch, and his son-in-law, J. Smith, have also for many years been associated with the directorate of the firm, and more recently, a member of the third generation, Mr. Alan Rouch joined the business. The other son is the Rev. Harold Rouch of Maryborough.
Mr. Rouch's youngest son, L. Rouch, and his son-in-law, J. Smith, have also for many years been associated with the directorate of the firm, and more recently, a member of the third generation, Mr. Alan Rouch joined the business. The other son is the Rev. Harold Rouch of Maryborough.
Apart from his very substantial business interests, Mr. Rouch was a lay preacher and for over 40 years his exceedingly strong interest in children and in the simple faith of Christian teaching was shown in developing the Methodist Sunday School as well as assisting those in other denominations.
For about 35 years he was Superintendent and retained that position until his death. Mrs. Rouch also shared this interest. He occupied at various times almost every office in the church and made liberal contributions. He also took keen interest in the Order of Rechabites.
As a sportsman he was one of the leading members of the bowling club of which he was a past president, and in his later years was probably never happier than when indulging in this pastime, in the jovial company of members.
When the above account was published in "The Historian" in 1984, the former site of Charles Rouch Pty. Ltd store and timber yards was occupied by Harry Heath's Supermarket. Harry Heath's has now also gone and as at 2016, Leo's supermarket and carpark occupy the site.